Type of Contract
- He assists the Captain in his tasks, and is his deputy if necessary. He centralizes official communications and transmits them to the Captain.
- He manages the ship’s deck and hotel services.
- He organizes the bridge service watches in port, and instructs the officers under the authority of the Captain.
- He dematerializes the management of the bridge service for consumables and spare parts.
- He keeps the register of overtime for the bridge department up to date.
- Participates in the preparation of activity and safety reports.
- He is responsible for risk management as defined by French regulations.
- He/she manages working hours and rest periods in accordance with the MLC 2006.
- He reports to the Captain, before each departure, on the seaworthiness, stability and safety of the vessel for the services concerned.
- He ensures that the vessel’s stability and structural stresses are optimal, and conducts Loadmaster tests every 6 months.
- He supervises the mooring operations and directs the deck officers for maneuvers.
- He ensures that the vessel is seaworthy, and is responsible for the vessel’s capacity and structure surveys.
- He manages the ship’s ballasting operations, as well as the periodic ballast tank inspections.
- He manages the maintenance of the deck equipment, the painting works and the dedicated registers.
- He organizes the rotations of the port watches, in coordination with the Chief Engineer, and ensures that the vessel is sufficiently armed at all times, in accordance with the instructions of the port of call plan.
- He is informed of the terms of the charter party and complies with them.
- He ensures that the distribution of responsibilities of each Officer is in accordance with the organization of the ship.
- He takes responsibility for technical operations when the Operations Officer is not on board.
- He has the same operational skills as the Operation Officer.
- The Second Captain is the Officer in charge of safety on board, he intervenes, analyses and reports to the Captain on any event, incident or situation involving the safety of the crew or the vessel.
- He supervises the safety of the crew, their working environment, the safety of the vessel, and ensures that the ship is secure.
- He organizes and is responsible for the holding of safety drills on board, and ensures that the highest level of training is maintained for the intervention teams, in terms of fire-fighting, means of abandonment, and anti-pollution response. He promotes the QHSE culture on board.
- He manages the ship’s anti-spill materials and equipment, and ensures that the watertight doors are in good condition.
- Maintains and reviews the SOLAS training manual and ensures its availability on board.
- He maintains and performs the bi-annual document review of the shipboard safety appliances maintenance plan (SSAMP) and manages the maintenance of the safety equipment on board.
- He is responsible for the gas detector and its calibration.
- He organizes the planning and execution meetings of the works on board.
- He/she keeps the risk assessment document up to date and completes it if necessary.
- He supervises the management of waste on board.
Quality – Safety – Security – Environment System
- Familiarizes himself/herself with the QHSE system documents managed by the head office and by the ship, in particular those in which he/she is directly involved,
- Implements and applies the QHSE plan on board
- He/she supports and complies with the policies set out in the QHSE Manual and associated procedures, and proposes all useful improvements to this management system and, if applicable, to the Client’s QHSE requirements,
- He reports events likely to affect the vessel and its operations, quality, safety, security or the environment,
- He is involved in the protection of the environment at his own level,
- He/she organizes and participates in the various exercises/trainings and/or fire/security teams, according to the distribution of roles on board.
- Carrying out exercises and safety training sessions.
- Periodic implementation and testing of lifeboats, fast search boats and watertight doors.
- Maintenance and verification of safety equipment on board.
- 3 years experience as a Deck Officer.
Please send your application by email directly to firstname.lastname@example.orgApply
Type of Contract